I always wondered to what extent, if possible, teenagers and even adults get influenced by movies. And this is not to say they found something cool in the movie, but rather they unknowingly began to imitate the mannerisms, both verbal and non-verbal. I must emphasize the difference between a kid who imitates James Bond because he saw a 'cool' action scene and what I am specifically referring to.
Sometimes, I would look upon research conducted of an 18-19 and possibly even 25 yr olds being influenced by TV Shows as absurd, and possibly something fabricated for the sake of publication. I recently had a few minutes to mull this over and realized that this research is not wholly untrue. I will admit the amount of influence touted by these research publications that TV shows and movies is something I have yet to experience.
I am now convinced that watching media continuously influences to a a significant extent the behavior of individuals and causes noticeable change in their mannerisms. I, myself, have been the 'victim' of these influences. I often find myself gravitating to Dr. Cox and JD on Scrubs simply because I identify with their situation. Lo and behold, the next thing I know, I am speaking as Dr. Cox does and day dreaming as JD does, my sense of humor now involves speaking the way Ali and Ranjit do on Mind Your Language. Ofcourse, these are possibly harmless incorporations of the behaviors of TV... icons, if you will. Yet I cannot help but wonder how many other mannerisms I might have adopted that I am not conscious of. How many of them are subtly bad? How many of them hinder, if not hamper communication skills?
On the flip side, I now have proof (personal, not based on data) that observing the right people can induce positive changes in mannerisms. This is not to say that a stupid person observing and worshipping the acts of the best salesman in the world will be the best salesman/ woman in the world himself/ herself. There is a base personality that can be changed only in the rarest of circumstances, and I really do mean the rarest of circumstances. All it means is that you will subtly begin to reflect the actions and words of those you are constantly surrounded by.
I now well and truly believe this. But this brings a new question into the picture and my thought for today: Do the best hang out only with the best and create rifts in society? Something else to mull over...
Sometimes, I would look upon research conducted of an 18-19 and possibly even 25 yr olds being influenced by TV Shows as absurd, and possibly something fabricated for the sake of publication. I recently had a few minutes to mull this over and realized that this research is not wholly untrue. I will admit the amount of influence touted by these research publications that TV shows and movies is something I have yet to experience.
I am now convinced that watching media continuously influences to a a significant extent the behavior of individuals and causes noticeable change in their mannerisms. I, myself, have been the 'victim' of these influences. I often find myself gravitating to Dr. Cox and JD on Scrubs simply because I identify with their situation. Lo and behold, the next thing I know, I am speaking as Dr. Cox does and day dreaming as JD does, my sense of humor now involves speaking the way Ali and Ranjit do on Mind Your Language. Ofcourse, these are possibly harmless incorporations of the behaviors of TV... icons, if you will. Yet I cannot help but wonder how many other mannerisms I might have adopted that I am not conscious of. How many of them are subtly bad? How many of them hinder, if not hamper communication skills?
On the flip side, I now have proof (personal, not based on data) that observing the right people can induce positive changes in mannerisms. This is not to say that a stupid person observing and worshipping the acts of the best salesman in the world will be the best salesman/ woman in the world himself/ herself. There is a base personality that can be changed only in the rarest of circumstances, and I really do mean the rarest of circumstances. All it means is that you will subtly begin to reflect the actions and words of those you are constantly surrounded by.
I now well and truly believe this. But this brings a new question into the picture and my thought for today: Do the best hang out only with the best and create rifts in society? Something else to mull over...
No comments:
Post a Comment