Saturday, June 6, 2009

Religiously speaking...

People often 'pick' religions because their parents are one religion or because they have not been exposed to another religion. Very rarely does one find a religion being picked by an individual on logical sense. Gun to my head, I subscribe to Hinduism, but I would prefer not to pick one religion over another to associate myself with ideally. All religions are flawed - I mean this in most benign of ways without intending to belittle the existence of a divine force. Yet I have very particular beefs with religions.
For example for me to ascribe to Christianity, I would have to agree that Jesus Christ is the sole way to salvation/ heaven. While this is absurd in many ways (the most notable way being an atheist performing community service and other forms of charity being marked for sin or hell), I argued this particular scenario with a dear friend of mine. Belief in Jesus Christ implies forgiveness of sins. But suppose at the age of 40, as a non-believer, I commit a heinous crime (pick the worst kind). On my deathbed, I am enlightened and I profess my absolute faith in the Lord, then according to Christianity, I am forgiven for having killed someone at the age 40. Do I not get what's due to me especially since what goes around comes around? Or are my sins forgiven 'magically' and I go to heaven...?
Against Islam, the recent laws enacted against women in the middle east is nothing short of marital rape and can never be condoned. It requires only common sense to realize that certain laws should not be enacted in the name of religion i.e. 'holy war', or subjugation of women in a derogatory way.
Even though I profess my faith in Hinduism, I consider the world lucky that one of the prominent pillars of Hinduism i.e. do whatever your duty is without expectation of the result has not been morphed into anything violent. I am glad that people have not taken to war under the concept of 'duty'. I am also glad that people have enough sense to not follow rituals such as Sati in most of parts of India and that common sense has prevailed. In time, as education and technology permeates the third tier cities and villages, I hope this still holds true.
Against Buddhism or Jainism, while I do believe that everything ascribed by them is logical, I do not agree with the fact that they do not consider a form of 'God' as the source of guidance. A minor flaw no doubt, which is why I do agree with most of its principles in the first place.
In my opinion, all religions should be banned, one universal religion must be picked and people then ascribe to it openly. This one religion will have all the good of every religion while letting common sense dictate what is right/ wrong and what is good/ bad. I know that the terms 'good' and 'wrong' are up for debate, but atleast we can all agree that 'Do not rape, do not steal, do not kill; these are principles that every man of every faith can embrace' ... right?


2 comments:

sriram said...

Why do you even want that one religion? If you feel so strongly about it, that is.

Karthik said...

well posted raghu.. i agree when u say all religions are flawed. I'l move on and add that religion is and has been the world's best marketing strategy. religious implications abound everytime you close a door, open a window, cough, peer, whatever u do.. its just society's way of getting back to you. n in india, its even worse than it is elsewhere because of the diversity..
well, guess this one missed out in all our debates hehe.