Yet another short blog given the constraints of life here, BUT...
Once again, at the risk of drawing flak from everyone in my audience, I will e-pen what I call a business perspective on life. In the many conversations I have had with friends, the amount of planning done by me has always been a point of mockery. Let me provide them with further ammunition then.
I believe that everything in life is an investment. Should I choose to take a walk, it is to invest time in myself for the purpose of relaxation. If I choose to exercise, then I am investing in myself to maintain my health in the future. If I should choose to sleep (and sleep excessively too), it is to invest time in my rejuvenation. Spending time with someone is investing in that relationship for whatever reason - I am not here to judge.
Now this is not to say every decision made is a 'good' investment decision. Everyone (including myself) is guilty of making poor decisions and, by transitivity, poor investment choices. But if we understand this concept, that is all our choices are a reflection of an investment decision, we must also accept that there is a cost and benefit associated with each decision. If that is also true, then should we not think before we make each decision? Should we not choose to spend every moment maximizing this 'return on investment'? Should we not choose wisely whom to invest our energies in? People generally think about investment decisions as something along the lines of which school to attend, which career to choose in which company, and perhaps even whom to marry. People rarely think about something as trivial as how to spend the next hour, being friends with someone, or spending time with someone, as investment decisions which will have payoffs.
Every decision we make that maximizes our benefit and opportunity cost is then equated to a better outcome, which then in turn leads to a better life... right?
Once again, at the risk of drawing flak from everyone in my audience, I will e-pen what I call a business perspective on life. In the many conversations I have had with friends, the amount of planning done by me has always been a point of mockery. Let me provide them with further ammunition then.
I believe that everything in life is an investment. Should I choose to take a walk, it is to invest time in myself for the purpose of relaxation. If I choose to exercise, then I am investing in myself to maintain my health in the future. If I should choose to sleep (and sleep excessively too), it is to invest time in my rejuvenation. Spending time with someone is investing in that relationship for whatever reason - I am not here to judge.
Now this is not to say every decision made is a 'good' investment decision. Everyone (including myself) is guilty of making poor decisions and, by transitivity, poor investment choices. But if we understand this concept, that is all our choices are a reflection of an investment decision, we must also accept that there is a cost and benefit associated with each decision. If that is also true, then should we not think before we make each decision? Should we not choose to spend every moment maximizing this 'return on investment'? Should we not choose wisely whom to invest our energies in? People generally think about investment decisions as something along the lines of which school to attend, which career to choose in which company, and perhaps even whom to marry. People rarely think about something as trivial as how to spend the next hour, being friends with someone, or spending time with someone, as investment decisions which will have payoffs.
Every decision we make that maximizes our benefit and opportunity cost is then equated to a better outcome, which then in turn leads to a better life... right?
2 comments:
good thought
I am thinking whether it was good investment to read this :P
Post a Comment