Thursday, March 19, 2009

Comic book heroes...

Perhaps I just needed a good cry, or I was really moved by the recent batman movie; in either case, I must e-pin my thoughts down. I beg my audience to tolerate the... levity of this blog. I have seen several comic strip heroes in action, both on-screen and on paper. In my honest opinion, Batman is what a true hero is made of.
In all the other movies, a comic book hero has had to fight evil, and perhaps restore faith to the people while doing so. Never had any of them had to sacrifice themselves to ensure the well-being of a city. Some might argue that in keeping one's superpowers and undertaking the responsibility to defend a city, an individual sacrifices his/ her right to lead a 'normal' life. However, the Dark Knight is whatever Gotham needs it to be including the villain to restore the citizen's faith in the justice system. While it may be the other writers did not conceive to plot such an ending for the other heroes, these fictional stories lead me to believe that batman is the true hero among all other comic book heroes.
Heroes are whatever society at that time needs them to be, whether it is being the fall-guy/ girl, or the symbol of sanctity and hope. Perhaps the lesson I learn from this movie is that given my (potential and conceived) purpose in life and my priorities, I should be whatever my friends need me to be at any given point of time. I don't intend to be a hero for the world - I do not have the capacity to fulfill such dreams, but I do have the resources to be a good friend to those I care about and love the most. Perhaps this movie validates my beliefs further does it not...?

No comments: