Usually such an argument rests on whether a suicide is legal or not, whether it is selfish or not. My view on it, as deemed by traditional diktat, is unorthodox, and possibly sinful. As termed by Christianity, and possibly Islam, suicide is sinful and consequently wrong. According to Hinduism, suicide is sinful since it is a pathway for an individual to shirk one's duties.
As I have indicated before, my views can be considered rebellious, even shocking by some fundamentalists. I believe that suicide is the right of each individual to exercise as he or she wishes because certain circumstances do warrant suicide. It is just as selfish of the individual's family to prevent the suicide as it is for the individual to commit it.
My purpose here is not to defend suicide, or to chastise people for believing in it, but to bring up an interesting point. I posed this question in regards to the selfishness of suicide to a good friend, colleague and mentor of mine. His response was rather insightful and possibly unusual. He claimed that it was selfish of society as a whole to allow this suicide to happen while idly standing by. It reflects as a failure on society to allow individuals to have reached this degenerative state wherein members of the society are willing to voluntarily give up their life out of misery.
I think this view is something that has opened my eyes to understand the concept of suicide better, and possibly deal with situations akin to some of my personal experiences better...
As I have indicated before, my views can be considered rebellious, even shocking by some fundamentalists. I believe that suicide is the right of each individual to exercise as he or she wishes because certain circumstances do warrant suicide. It is just as selfish of the individual's family to prevent the suicide as it is for the individual to commit it.
My purpose here is not to defend suicide, or to chastise people for believing in it, but to bring up an interesting point. I posed this question in regards to the selfishness of suicide to a good friend, colleague and mentor of mine. His response was rather insightful and possibly unusual. He claimed that it was selfish of society as a whole to allow this suicide to happen while idly standing by. It reflects as a failure on society to allow individuals to have reached this degenerative state wherein members of the society are willing to voluntarily give up their life out of misery.
I think this view is something that has opened my eyes to understand the concept of suicide better, and possibly deal with situations akin to some of my personal experiences better...
No comments:
Post a Comment