Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Apparent contradictions

Previously, I had mentioned exploring life to understand and cement its fundamental truths. As I read through 'The Appeal', by John Grisham, I stumbled upon a phrase ' an apparent contradiction' and I wondered how many such contradictions do exist in this game we call life. Let me clarify exactly what I am referring to. Two statements which echo different sentiments and conclusions, but based on the same logical foundation can be construed as a contradiction.
For instance, if someone does not believe in abortion because they feel it is not their right to decide the fate of life, that person cannot, and must not, believe in capital punishment. If they cannot decide the fate of an unborn child, how can they decide the fate of a criminal? Someone's innocence does not guarantee them life, someone's sins do not guarantee them death. Along the same lines, a rationalist, or an atheist, cannot believe in fate and destiny. If an individual does not believe in a guiding force, which we refer to as God, then how can that same individual believe there is an end goal/ consequence decided by someone/ something else for us? Furthermore, along the same lines, if an individual does believe in fate, and does believe that there is an end goal/ consequence to each set of events, then that person must believe in horoscopes. The possibility of the end goal being orally communicated to an astrologer of sorts and the astrologer consequently writing it down is then well within the realms of reality. This is not to say the astrologer down the road from you is the messenger of God, but some astrologer somewhere can very well be the messenger of God.
I intend to explore many more of these contradictions of life and I will continue to update these... conflicts of interest... as I understand and explore more of life. I feel the urge to do so since I believe such contradictions are a direct violations of a person's beliefs. In my opinion, a person abiding by his/ her principles and faiths leads a much more fulfilling life... isn't that so?

No comments: