Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Transcending the borders

In trying to accomplish specific set of rules to ensure as much certainty as possible to life, I decided to explore one particular principle: X is either an acquaintence, or a friend; there is no intermediate setting on the spectrum of platnoic relationships. For those of you who frown on this rather distinct black and white categorization, such a categorization encompasses all blips on the scale - a friend, a good friend, a best friend, to me are all still friends deserve the same loyalty and help as the next 'friend'. Perhaps the priority in which they are helped differ, but they are all my friends nevertheless. Yet I am forced to ask how does someone blur the distinction between an acquaintence and a friend and become tightly knit in the latter? How do I know that this person has now transcended into a friend and someone I can trust my life with? To relate this to a common 'dilemna', how does one decide a friend is a good friend as opposed to just a friend or an acquaintence?
The reason I bring this up is this: The day started off in a tired fashion. I did not want to fulfil my obligations for the day, but the thought of meeting X made me sit up, smile and excited to be there. It suddenly hit me that this person was no longer just an acquaintence, but the go-to person for my difficulties on a social, professional and personal level. This transformation was so abrupt, that I need to make a checklist to verify how many other 'friends' or 'acquaintences' can be... upgraded... so to speak. As a caveat, some of these will be the same as the checklist to unravel cupid's mysteries.
-You dont mind spending time with that person even if it means sacrificing on your own personal time to meet a deadline; as a corollary, you would rather spend the extra hour talking to this individual than have your 'alone' time
-You gladly pick up the tab when he/ she is short on money, whether it is 5 dollars, or 50 dollars.
-You can talk to this individual about anything and everything ranging from politics to homosexuality
-This person is your go-to individual for anything you need advice on whether it be how to handle relationships or how to handle your obligations
-You have this person's personal contact information and blessings to actually reach out to him/ her on the same

As always, this list is not MECE, and will be updated as and when I realize and cement more truths about this topic. For life is also about finding those friends who are there are for you and willing to guide and support you, right?

-

No comments: