They say falling in love produces a chemical reaction analogous to eating large amounts of dark chocolate. If that were true, then I guess I would be satiated everytime I felt the urge for female companionship...
However, this quest for companionship led me to question who really should be THE companion. Perhaps it is the person who you fall in love with. But does love really conquer all? I have honestly come to believe that when push comes to shove, love don't cut it. Sometimes if you must let go off a person because she would not have been happy in the circumstances the future would have held. The next question, therefore, becomes what qualities should reside in THE one. I believe it comes down to three things: Personality and the core values, Cultural fit, and the lifestyle of each other.
To elaborate on this ideology, let us consider the first attribute: Personality and core values. Obviously the significant other has to be nice, smart, and, some would even say, carry herself well. However, you must look beyond the superficial personality and delve deeper into what the core beliefs are. I am of the opinion that every person has a core set of beliefs that he or she has come to adopt such as belief in higher education, faith in god, religious views, and familial relationships. These core values must match, or else while there will not necessarily be conflict between the couple, there will be some valid questions regarding the upbringing of the child and a culture clash in general.
Which then leads to my second point. How well does your chosen one fit in with those in your family. If there is a significant enough dislike for the companion, then perhaps it is in the best interest to not be with each other. The final point regarding lifestyle is this: Most of the time a prince cannot live like a pauper and hence someone whose lifestyle closely matches that of yours should be picked.
Ofcourse it's great if you can find a significant other with all these qualities but here is the question I am then forced to ask. What if you never fall in love with this person? Where is the line drawn between following your heart and recongizing a push versus shove scenario mentioned above...? A question I struggle with everyday...
However, this quest for companionship led me to question who really should be THE companion. Perhaps it is the person who you fall in love with. But does love really conquer all? I have honestly come to believe that when push comes to shove, love don't cut it. Sometimes if you must let go off a person because she would not have been happy in the circumstances the future would have held. The next question, therefore, becomes what qualities should reside in THE one. I believe it comes down to three things: Personality and the core values, Cultural fit, and the lifestyle of each other.
To elaborate on this ideology, let us consider the first attribute: Personality and core values. Obviously the significant other has to be nice, smart, and, some would even say, carry herself well. However, you must look beyond the superficial personality and delve deeper into what the core beliefs are. I am of the opinion that every person has a core set of beliefs that he or she has come to adopt such as belief in higher education, faith in god, religious views, and familial relationships. These core values must match, or else while there will not necessarily be conflict between the couple, there will be some valid questions regarding the upbringing of the child and a culture clash in general.
Which then leads to my second point. How well does your chosen one fit in with those in your family. If there is a significant enough dislike for the companion, then perhaps it is in the best interest to not be with each other. The final point regarding lifestyle is this: Most of the time a prince cannot live like a pauper and hence someone whose lifestyle closely matches that of yours should be picked.
Ofcourse it's great if you can find a significant other with all these qualities but here is the question I am then forced to ask. What if you never fall in love with this person? Where is the line drawn between following your heart and recongizing a push versus shove scenario mentioned above...? A question I struggle with everyday...
No comments:
Post a Comment