Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cupid Unveiled?

Given the events surrounding me and my friends these past few days, I must view them through an introspective lens. I have seen folks fall in love on as wide a range on the temporal spectrum as it gets. People fall in love at 'first sight', some others fall in love after months, or years, and there are many who do not fall in love ( or do not realize that they are in love) even after being with their significant other for years! Once again, as the desire to eliminate uncertainty from my life takes root, I ask my self how one knows they are in love. Is there a checklist that we can perhaps refer to?
In my opinion, or atleast from my current experience, I can develop a checklist that can provide some guidance to question, even clarify, if they are in love or not:
-You do not mind spending time with him/ her even if it means staying awake all night to finish up your own work
-You love waking up to his/ her voice and love waking him/ her up so that you are the first person he/ she hears in the morning
-You laugh at everything he/ she says, not because you must, but because you actually find it funny
-You love him/ her cuddling with you, you don't need it to go anywhere more... explicit... than that for it be fulfilling.
-Putting your hand around him/ her gives you a feeling of calm and peace, but his/ her arm linked in yours, his/ her fingers intertwined in yours, his/ her fingers running through your hair gives you eternal bliss.
-You cannot stop thinking about how beautiful he/ she is, and not only w.r.t. looks, but his/ her personality, his/ her laugh, and his/ her walk
-You would love to tell the world he/ she is not just your boyfriend/ girlfriend, but that he/ she is yours, period
-You spoke to him/ her an hour ago, and you still feel the urge to call him/ her up and talk
-You look down the road X years from now and see yourself waking up next to him/ her, kissing him/ her and snuggling up even more not wanting to leave his/ her side
-You gaze at him/ her and the very sight of him/ her smiling brings happiness to you
-You gladly pick up the tab when he/ she is short on money, whether it is 5 dollars, or 50 dollars
Ofcourse, many folks (including myself) can argue that many items on this... checklist... can be attributed to close friends as well. For example, I may hang up on one of my dear friends and feel the urge to call him/ her up again since I enjoy his/ her company. I don't mind picking up the tab for any of my friends. Yet, there are others on this list that apply only to someone you are well and truly in love with. This list, when taken in its entirety, I believe, constitutes a guideline in unravelling cupid's mysteries.
As I realize this some more, I shall continue to update this list, but to tie the aforementioned in to an earlier blog, I do not in any way say that the guy/ girl you love will be the one you end up marrying since situation of 'push versus shove' must be resolved. For life is often stranger than fiction... right?

No comments: