Friday, December 12, 2008

The exciting chase

The 'process' of acquiring a significant other involves many stages, when viewed from a logical and calculative standpoint. One of the many stages entails wooing the girl and convincing her that guy is indeed the right one for her. This could happen via showering the girl with attention and/ or gifts as the girl contemplates, decides and maybe even tries to play hard to get.
I recently spoke to someone very close to me in regards to this and was surpirsed to learn that most guys enjoy the chase, the wooing part as much as the girl enjoys the attention showered on her. I am surprised, nay shocked, that guys would ever remotely enjoy this phase. As an addendum to a conversation, these people were further classified as type A personality types or the go-getters. These types of people, and these types alone, enjoy the chase, the challenge of convincing the girl to date them. WHat happens after the assent is an issue I do not wish to explore here. But as an individual who likes to eliminate uncertainty from life, I detest this aspect of the engagement process. This is the most uncertain phase of a relationship where the guy must play his cards right to win the girls heart. I do not enjoy the challenge of convincing my significant other that I am indeed right for her.
Does this mean that I am not an individual of type A strain? Does this mean I do not enjoy challenges in life? Does someone necessarily have to be adventurous and like challenges to be of the type A strain? Can I lead a peaceful, risk-averse life and yet be an ambitious go-getter or do I need to change my base personality to be of the said variety? A question worth debating over in my opinion...

No comments: